Japanese name: アンギラス
Romanized name: Angirasu
Alignment: Varies by continuity
Type: Kaiju, ankylosaur
Status: Varies by continuity.
From: Godzilla Raids Again, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), Godzilla Island, Godzilla: Final Wars
- Although introduced as Angilas in Godzilla Raids Again (or Godzilla’s Counterattack), Toho later copyrighted the name “Anguirus”.
- A longstanding rumor states that Baragon was supposed to appear in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), but it was replaced by the more recognizable Anguirus. This probably stems from Anguirus’ sudden ability to burrow.
- Anguirus and Rodan are considered to be Godzilla’s allies. This could be why their lives were spared in Godzilla: Final Wars.
- Daimugen in Gosei Sentai Dairanger possesss the same roar as Anguirus.
- It was once said that Anguirus’ enhanced speed was due to an extensive nervous system, resulting in faster reactions.
- Unlike Rodan and Mothra, Anguirus never gained energy based attacks in the latter films. It did have a sonic roar in some video games. In Final Wars, Anguirus could curl up into a ball like an armadillo and then propel itself at an enemy.
- In the original script for Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, Godzilla was intended to fight Baragon, Varan and Anguirus.