Japanese name: ラドン
Romanized name: Radon
Alignment: Varies by continuity
Type: Kaiju, pteranodon
Status: Varies by continuity.
From: Giant Flying Monster Rodan, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro Monster, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993), Godzilla: Final Wars, Godzilla Island
- "Radon" is a contraction of "pteranodon".
- Possibly to avoid confusion with the chemical element radon, the monster was referred to as “Rodan” in the west. This eventually became its international name.
- In Rodan’s solo feature film, the adults could fire concentrated blasts of air from their mouths. This ability was abandoned and never seen in other movies.
- As a result of coming in contact with Godzilla’s atomic breath, Rodan transformed into Fire Rodan in the Heisei Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. This was the first time that Rodan possessed an energy attack - a uranium heat beam. It also had the power to transfer its life force to another being. Fire Rodan returned in Godzilla Island.
- In Godzilla: Final Wars, Godzilla spared Rodan along with Anguirus and King Caesar. This was a nod to the Showa series where all three of those monsters were once allies with Godzilla.